12mo (134 x 98 mm.). 46 pp. Title woodcut and 14 half-page woodcuts in the text. Light dampstain in second half. Contemporary block-printed paper over pasteboards, blue-sprinkled edges.***
A Bavarian chapbook edition of the Stations of the Cross, well-preserved in its patterned paper case binding.
Following the papal permission granted by Innocent XI in 1686 to the Franciscans (the originators of the Vie dolorose found throughout Europe) to erect Stations of the Cross within their churches, the original seven Stations were extended to fourteen. The iconographical theme remained highly popular in Bavaria and South Germany, and painted or sculpted Stations of the Cross are still nearly as common as Madonnas or Crucifixes in village churches throughout the region.
KVK locates one copy of this edition (Frankfurt Univ.), and two other editions from Amberg, from 1840 and 1848, both printed by Biechele. Item #2955