Broadsheet (434 x 325 mm). Printed text in two columns, fulfilled in manuscript; surmounted by a row of three woodcuts, at bottom the seal of the Portuguese Commissary General of the Holy Land. Fine condition, untrimmed, minor creases at folds.***
An illustrated printed form granting induction into the Confraternity (Irmandade) of Jerusalem (also called the Confraternity of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem), one of a number of lay confraternities sponsored by the Franciscans. The document was promulgated by Fr. Manoel do Espirito Santo Santo Minde in the Franciscan Convent in Madrid on 10 February 1774, as stated in the text. The latter's xylographically(?) reproduced signature is printed at the foot of the text, as is the woodcut (block-stamped?) seal, with the Jerusalem cross, of the Portuguese General Commissary of the Terra Sancta. The name of the inductee, Antonio Xavier Ribeiro, and the date, 17 September 14, are supplied in manuscript in spaces left blank for that purpose.
The woodcuts show the Madonna on the Crescent, the arms of the Confraternity, and St. Francis; archaic in style, they all show signs of wear.
Originally a pilgrimage society, the Confraternity of Jerusalem became one of the most prominent lay confraternities for slaves and freed slaves in eighteenth-century Brazil (cf. Higgins, "Licentious Liberty" in a Brazilian Gold-mining Region, 1999, p. 104).
Rare. Princeton holds a different edition of a similar broadside, without imprint and apparently unillustrated, and with a different official’s printed signature. Item #2548